Today is getting serious.
Now that we have made a lot of preparations for our new blog, today is about how to write optimal posts.
To get straight to the point, there is of course no one optimal way, otherwise all good articles would look the same. 😉
But there are many points that you should pay attention to in order to write the best possible posts.
At the very beginning of this series, we determined the niche for the blog and in Part 3 we also planned the content for the blog . The selection of our Post topics is of course heavily based on this.
I believe in writing down ideas for new articles right away. I used to not do that and instead thought about an article for a long time and tried to work it out in detail in my head. That had 2 disadvantages.
On the one hand, it always happened that I woke up early and the great article idea was gone and I just couldn’t remember what it was about. On the other hand, it blocks your own thoughts. If I deal intensively with an article, then I lack “thinking resources”. During this time I hardly come up with other ideas, etc. That’s why I always write down my ideas and bullet points immediately, then I have my head free again.
I collect these ideas and bullet points in the WordPress draft folder. This is also what this is intended for and I can quickly find the ideas there. You can find more tips for collecting ideas in the article ” 22 tips for regularly finding new article ideas “.
But which topics are best? Of course, that cannot be said exactly. I’ve written articles myself that I thought would be a big hit. But hardly anyone was interested in it. But it was the other way around.
Over time, you will get a good feeling for which topics are popular and which are less popular.
One tool that can help with the analysis is Postrank.com .
There you enter your feed address and then this tool analyzes all posts according to the engagement of the readers. So comments as well as tweets and social bookmarks are analyzed. The posts with the highest engagement from readers get the most points.
The rating is from 0 to 10. So you have at least a rough idea of what the readers will like best.
Your statistics program is also always worth a look.
I use Google Analytics and with it you can see very exactly how often certain articles have been read and for how long.
Whoever deals with it a little more intensively gets a good insight into the popular and less popular articles.
Here you can find more information: ” The best statistics plugins for WordPress “.
If you have your RSS feed on Feedburner are offering, then there is also evaluating options.
There you can see how many views and how many clicks the individual posts had in the feed. The more often an article is clicked on by feed readers, the more interesting the topic appears to be for readers.
Of course, it’s also very interesting to see how many comments the previous posts have received. The more comments, the more one seems to have struck a chord with the reader with a topic.
It always helps me a lot to take a step back every now and then and think about what’s missing from my blog. Which posts would round it off and which posts would visitors like the most? This consideration is a little subjective, but often articles that you would like to read yourself also go down very well with your own readers.
Overall, you should set a few priorities in the chosen niche and write articles about it. For example, I set the “blog start” as a focus on blog projects. That’s why I started this series of articles specifically for this.
News or background articles?
There are many different types of article types. I don’t want to list them all here. There is also an extra article.
But two of the most important are the news and background articles. Both are very important to the success of a blog.
While news articles are usually shorter, but very close to the topic in question and therefore very successful in social news sites, for example, background articles are more timeless and longer.
A good mix isn’t a bad idea. But of course there are blogs that only publish one type of article and do well with it. However, I generally don’t find variety bad.
Headline and title
Many write the headline , i.e. the title of an article, first. But that’s not necessarily the best course of action.
Instead, the title should reflect the content of the article and, above all, its core message in an interesting way. Because the headline will appear in many links as anchor text and also in social news portals as a link text.
The headline is therefore almost more important for the “marketing” of your own article outside of your own blog than directly in your own blog. In this respect, you shouldn’t just write something like “Every beginning is difficult”. That might look good and appropriate right above the text in your own blog, but if someone on the web sees this heading as a link, it’s not really exciting and you don’t know what the article is about.
Instead, choose headlines that are attractive and arouse curiosity. “7 safe tips to lose 10 kilos in 4 weeks”. You know what to expect in the article and you are curious about what these 7 tips are.
There are many more tips for designing a headline in the next part of this series of articles. Until then, you will find more information on designing headlines in the article “ 10 tips for optimal blog headlines ”.
The title of a post, on the other hand, is different. This appears, for example, at the top of the browser and is very important for search engines. Therefore, you should enter the title separately by hand
The title should contain the most important keyword at least once, if not several times. In addition, it doesn’t hurt if the keyword is at the very beginning of the title. The title is more important than the meta tags “Keywords” and “Description”.
More about the title tag and the meta information in one of the following parts of this series. Then it comes again more precisely to SEO measures.
The most extensive topic is of course the text itself. There are many factors to be considered here. Of course, you can just start typing, but you will not achieve an optimal post that way.
The following factors play an important role when writing an article text:
- structureArticles on the web are harder to read than in a magazine, for example. It is therefore important to structure the information well. At the very beginning one should briefly outline the content of the article and briefly address the most important points. The reader should then know what to expect and why he should definitely read the article.Then the article should follow in several sections. The sections are divided by headings and this should be done with <H1> – <H6> tags. The individual sections should lead to the solution before a final section summarizes and concludes the content.
- picturesPictures or photos are an important element. Many bloggers don’t bother to look for suitable pictures. But the effort is worth it, as an article with suitable pictures is recorded much better and is often easier to read.Tips and hints regarding the use of images can be found in the articles ” 5 Sources for Blog Photos ” and ” The Best Online Tools for Image Optimization and Editing “.
- Paragraphs / listings
- The use of paragraphs and listings makes posts easier to scan and a reader can see more quickly whether it is worth reading the article correctly. Unfortunately, I always see articles that are good in themselves, but that were written down in the running text without a paragraph or subheading. I immediately lose my desire to read and that’s a shame. Therefore you should choose short paragraphs and also summarize important points in lists again and again.
- Easy to understand and clear You should also write easily understandable. So no snake sentences with 10 commas. It’s good practice to mix short and long sentences together. This results in a natural flow of reading and that is better than just short sentences or long sentences in a row. In addition, you should give up your school knowledge a little and rather repeat words instead of using synonyms or referring to something indirectly. During my self-employment I always have customers who write very unclearly. They refer, for example, to things that you wrote 3 emails ago. Especially with longer background articles you should write clearly and understandably and rather repeat something or use one and the same keyword three times in a paragraph. That doesn’t harm search engine optimization either . 😉
- own style With all the tips and hints you shouldn’t forget that your own style is very important. So it’s not about bending over or completely changing your writing style. The tips here should help to support and round off your own style. The recognition value is also and especially important when blogging.
- Don’t just chew on anything Whoever publishes news above all should not simply reproduce it. It is important to make something of your own out of the news that many other blogs are sure to have. You should bring in your own opinion and experience and, if necessary, also bring in different points of view. So if a new console game has been released, you shouldn’t just pass this on, but instead, for example, incorporate your own experiences. Maybe you had a lot of fun with the predecessor of the game. Or you have an opinion about the developer and can incorporate it. That makes the article unique.
- SEO For search engines an article should already have at least 200-300 words, otherwise it will not really be perceived by the Sumas. This may be difficult at first, but with practice you will find it easier to write longer articles. Of course you shouldn’t inflate your article too much with meaningless content, but there is usually meaningful content that you can bring into an article.
- formatting I will certainly deal with this again in an extra article. One should make sure that an article is formatted in a reader-friendly way. In addition to the above-mentioned structure and the paragraphs / lists, you should make sure to increase the line spacing a little (line-height 1.3 em;). That helps a lot with reading. In addition, the text should be left-justified and not justified. I got that wrong at the very beginning of my blog “Self-employed in the Net” and it was really difficult to read the texts. This is due to the fact that when reading the individual lines one orientates oneself on the line end. If everything is justified, it is very easy to slip. The text color is also important and should match the background. After all, the text shouldn’t cause eye pain. So yellow on blue is not that cheap. ;-)Since writing is a very extensive topic in itself, I will definitely go into it again in separate articles. With the tips mentioned here, the article should be good.
- To link There is supposedly a lack of links among German bloggers. Behind this is probably the fear that someone could leave their own blog if they click on a link. But this fear is unfounded. In addition to good content, readers are looking for one thing above all else: good links. If you link good and interesting pages in your article, you don’t lose any readers, but only increase the value of your article all the more. Readers like this and they come back. In addition, there is nothing to prevent you from linking to suitable articles within your own blog. 🙂
Who are you writing for
First of all, of course, you write for the reader. Because they should like the article so that they come back, link the article, vote for the article on social news sites, etc.
Therefore, one should think of one’s own readers above all when writing an article.
But it just doesn’t work without SEO. That’s why you should also think a little about Google.
At least that’s my approach and it’s been quite successful so far. If you think that your content is so good that you don’t have to think about search engine optimization, I wish you every success. Or to say it with my marketing professor, “If you don’t advertise, you die”.
Search engine optimization is also a form of marketing and it is not even reprehensible. Google itself has issued a number of tips.
One more word on the subject of keywords. For successful bloggers, they form the basis of their own articles.
Since you write not only for readers, but also for search engines, you should be clear about (almost) every post which is the most important keyword that you want to serve with an article.
In my blog headline article, it was the keyword “headlines”. In addition, the German translation “headings”.
After I realized that, I also optimized the text for these two keywords. I haven’t overdone it, but I’ve used one of the two keywords repeatedly in the text. Even if I could perhaps have used a synonym or, for example, could have used “she” or “this” instead of the keyword “headline”.
Search engines are stupid machines. No matter how sophisticated the evaluation by Google is, but in the end it is a machine and if a certain word occurs more frequently on the whole page and also in the text, then it is weighted more heavily by Google. But of course there are other factors that I will talk about in an extra article, as I said earlier.
So think about a main keyword including one or the other related keywords and use it more often in your text and also in the headline, title. the meta information, etc.
With the keyword density tool from Sistrix you can check whether the main keyword occurs too rarely or too often. It should be near the top of the list.
With the keyword tool from linkvendor.com you can analyze a text for a word. Not only the text, but also the meta tags, the title, links, headings etc. are analyzed.
The term should appear everywhere there, but you do not have to achieve particularly high percentage values in the text. It is only important that the term occurs relatively frequently.
For example, the keyword “ backlinks ” achieved a share of 0.72% in the backlink article . But the keyword also appears in the other page elements, in some cases, of course, much more frequently (in relative terms).
About 1-2% in the actual body text would be better, but I wouldn’t recommend more. The value is usually a little higher for shorter articles and a little lower for very long articles.
The 5-7% that are sometimes published are not necessary and would not necessarily contribute to the reading pleasure of the visitors.
If you only mention your most important search term once in the text, you are definitely wasting potential here.
It’s not about writing an optimal post. But there are many factors to consider. Because the posts of a blog are the most important part and you can do a lot wrong here, both with regard to the readers and in the area of marketing.
Therefore, you should look at the tips listed above and then try to develop your own best practices. I also don’t implement all the tips optimally, but I have acquired an effective workflow in which I implement many of these tips and best practices automatically and unconsciously.
The subject of “writing articles” is a very extensive one and therefore you shouldn’t put yourself under pressure. Just write with your readers in mind and then try to gradually optimize your articles. Pay a little more attention to SEO here, a little more to a good outline and structure of the article, etc. You will get better with time, because only practice makes perfect. 🙂
With that in mind, I want to end the subject for today. The next part continues with the design of the headline. These are very important and therefore I will deal with the headlines again separately.