Structured internal links are one of the most underrated SEO strategies for more visibility on the web . Links are the most important currency on the net. 5 tips for a good link strategy.
Internal links for more visibility on the web
Search engine optimization is not rocket science and you can do a lot yourself without a specialized SEO agency. The best strategies for clean SEO are sometimes the obvious ones. However, only a few website operators use the possibilities to push their own visibility. The most effective and most important means to be found with certain content in search engines: internal links. So: references to your own articles.
In many areas of SEO you depend on how users or a search engine rate your offer. However, which links are set is 100% up to the publisher and is therefore one of the few areas in which you can optimize a lot yourself without being suspected of manipulation.
The simple basic rule for meaningful internal links: Good is what leads the user sensibly from A to B and brings his search to a successful conclusion. He finds what he’s looking for and everyone is happy. Google honors this with a better placement in the search index.
With a good link strategy you can achieve the following goals:
- More users on the important content: Direct your visitors directly to the most important and popular content.
- More page views per visitor: Pages without meaningful internal links are usually simply clicked away. Pages without further links are dead ends and do not lead the user to the goal.
- Lower bounce rate: if users don’t find what they’re looking for, they’ll leave a page quickly. If you offer several links on the page, the right thing could be there.
5 tips for a good link strategy
If you want to be found online, you have to think carefully about what your users need. This consideration is clearly neglected on many websites. In particular, employees who otherwise work with print media do not know how important links are on the Internet and what great importance they have for user-friendliness and SEO.
Here are the top five tips for better internal linking:
- Link to outstanding content There is a glut of content today on every imaginable question a user might have. Anyone who publishes content online today has to take a close look at the competition – and be better. Otherwise there is absolutely no chance of the coveted places among the top 10 on Google . And the most important content should be linked on as many pages of your own offer as possible. Make a note of the most important search terms and the associated contents of your homepage and set links from as many pages as possible to exactly these pages.
- Put lots of internal links There is no limit to internal links. If it makes sense, an article can theoretically contain hundreds of internal links. Of course, it shouldn’t degenerate into spam, but always remain user-friendly. The best role model for structuring a website with internal links is Wikipedia . Whenever a term that needs clarification, people or other relevant content is mentioned, a link is automatically set to the article in question, on which there is further information.
Every website should be built this way and not otherwise.
- Formulate understandable anchor text Google has become so good that you can no longer really impress it with the accumulation of individual keywords. So you shouldn’t think about how to manipulate Google, but how to bring users to certain websites. In doing so, ask yourself how exactly a link should be labeled. Are users more likely to click on this link here or on the link with a clearly understandable anchor text such as 10 tips for better online PR ? The answer is very simple! The click rates on links have a direct effect on the reach and visibility! This is why links have to encourage clicks.
Google’s John Mueller recently confirmed in a webmaster hang out that anchor text for internal links is important to Google. Although Google also understands the context around the link, according to Mueller that only plays a minor role.
So if you think of Wikipedia when it comes to internal links, you are spot on: Wikipedia is the most successful SEO site on the web and owes its large reach largely to internal links on every imaginable topic.
- Make all content findable with a maximum of three clicks For Google AND users, it is crucial on which level a link can be found. Links on the homepage at the top are clicked much more often than links on a rarely visited subpage at the bottom. Links to important pages should therefore be found on the frequently visited pages in the upper, immediately visible area, directly in the running text. As a rule of thumb, you should internalize that every single page can be reached from the homepage with a maximum of three clicks. The more clicks it takes to find a page, the lower the probability that a user will still find this article and Google will consider it relevant. Links that nobody clicks have no value either. Expensive link building measures are only useful if the content and link are actually attractive to readers.
Tip: Have your link profile examined professionally in order to find articles that are currently buried too deep on your homepage – and thus give away important potential.
- Link similar posts Search queries are as diverse as people. Everyone has a certain idea of what they want to find. It is rather rare that a user immediately finds what they are looking for on an article, which is why you offer them further options: Similar articles help generate more clicks and help users to find the one that suits them. In the best case, the user can find exactly what he was looking for with one click, but this is very rarely the case. It is therefore important that you not only optimize yourself for individual keywords, but also cover entire subject areas and every single possible search term on a particular topic.
Examples of best practice:
The page is listed with “only” 584 pages on Google, but for over 4000 different search queries it ranks mainly on the first search results page on Google. And that against the great competition of the big beauty companies
Analyzing and optimizing the internal link profile is not difficult and is completely in your own hands. You just have to do it continuously and stay on the ball, then this comparatively low effort pays off in the long term. Start today